Safety Professionals use a risk matrix to assess the various risks of hazards (and incidents) and other safety events. Understanding the components of a risk matrix will allow you and your organization to manage risk effectively. Check out the three components of the risk matrix, severity, probability and risk assessment that we utilize in the IndustrySafe software below.
Severity is the amount of damage or harm a hazard could create and is ranked on a four point scale as follows:
- Catastrophic 4 Operating conditions are such that human error, environment, design deficiencies, element, subsystem or component failure, or procedural deficiencies may commonly cause death or major system loss, thereby requiring immediate cessation of the unsafe activity or operation.
- Critical 3 Operating conditions are such that human error, environment, design deficiencies, element, subsystem or component failure or procedural deficiencies may commonly cause severe injury or illness or major system damage thereby requiring immediate corrective action.
- Marginal 2 Operating conditions may commonly cause minor injury or illness or minor systems damage such that human error, environment, design deficiencies, subsystem or component failure or procedural deficiencies can be counteracted or controlled without severe injury, illness or major system damage.
- Negligible 1 Operating conditions are such that personnel error, environment, design deficiencies, subsystem or component failure or procedural deficiencies will result in no, or less than minor, illness, injury or system damage.
Probability is the likelihood of the hazard occurring and is ranked on a five point scale:
- Frequent 5 Likely to occur often in the life of an item
- Probable 4 Will occur several times in the life of an item
- Occasional 3 Likely to occur some time in the life of an item.
- Remote 2 Unlikely but possible to occur in the life of an item.
- Improbable 1 So unlikely, it can be assumed occurrence may not be experienced.
Risk Assessment –The Risk Assessment Values are determined by multiplying the scores for the Probability and Severity values together. The following chart displays the default risk assessment values:
Check out our hazards product information page to learn more how the IndustrySafe software can assist you in tracking, reporting and analyzing your risks.